Tuesday, December 1, 2009

About Me


My name is Lauren Burg and I am a writer and photographer. Since I was little, sports have been a wonderful outlet for me to turn to when I need a few hours away from the stress of everyday life. I grew up as a huge football fan, always rooting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, USF Bulls and Auburn Tigers. During the 2004 Stanley Cup run, I became a fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey team. When I went to my first hockey game the following season, I became hooked. Hockey remains a major part of my life. I also have recently become a big fan of Tampa Bay Rays baseball.
I started out wanting to be an author, finding writing to be another outlet for my feelings. Since then, beginning in earnest when I became a hockey fan in April 2004, I have realized that everyone, including athletes, have some sort of story to tell. In order to get their story out, they need the help of writers and photographers to tell their story in a way that is compelling to the reader.
At Largo High School, I was first given the chance to try my hand at writing for publication, first as a Staff Writer and then as the Sports Editor of the Packer Press, Largo High's student publication. In the spring of 2003, I did an internship with the Largo Leader as part of one of my final courses before graduation. In the fall of 2004, I enrolled at St. Petersburg College and quickly found the composition classes to be my favorite. I graduated from St. Petersburg College with my associates degree in July of 2006 and immediately enrolled in the Journalism and Media Studies program at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. In my second year at USF, I was given the opportunity to become a high school sports correspondent for the St. Petersburg Times. I am grateful for this as I still work there today. Finally, this past summer, a good friend told me of a job writing blogs for the Tampa Bay Rays. I quickly inquired and was given the job covering Tampa Bay Rays games, helping me to expand my sports knowledge.
In my portfolio, I have included works I have done while a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, along with St. Petersburg Times Prep Sports articles and blogs I did for the Tampa Bay Rays baseball team. Feel free to take a look at my work and enjoy!
Below are a few quotes I like to try to live by:
"Desire, desire- not having "quit" in you. It's easy to quit, it's easy to say it's too hard. Champions are winners. It's the "hard" that makes it great."
-Chris Dingman, member of the 2004 Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning.
"Be determined, keep your confidence, and keep your courage and good things will happen."
-Vincent Lecavalier, member of the 2004 Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning and one of only two players remaining from that championship team.

No comments:

Post a Comment