Sunday, November 29, 2009

Where Am I?


It is a beautiful Sunday afternoon in late October and I am peering out my window at the cars passing by us. As we exit off Ashley Drive, I can see the house standing there alone to our right, crying out for neighbors. As we weave our way throughout the streets, barely missing pedestrians by the skin of our teeth, I see more and more people walking towards the big building which now looms straight ahead, towering over all others in that same area.
As we get closer, I begin to hear music floating through the crowds of people and hitting my ears like an angel singing to me. Outside the St. Pete Times Forum, I got so many black beads I began to look like the bead lady. We also walked over to the shark tank and watched all the little kids who wanted to pet the sharks for some reason and their parents telling them “No. The sharks aren’t for petting.”
Next, we went to go inside and, of course, had to get patted down first like we were fugitives on the run or something. They then checked my purse and also patted me down to make sure I wasn’t hiding anything under my clothes, as if you wouldn’t be able to see that from further away. Heck, I’m surprised we weren’t forced to strip right then and there!
Once we were finally allowed to enter the building, we stopped by the team store-upon my request, of course before heading to find our seats. I found three different shirts that interested me, and I wanted to buy them, but they were so expensive I could have bought three or more of the exact same thing at either Target or Wal-Mart for the price it cost to buy one there. We then quickly left and went to find our seats before I could find something else I wanted, or claimed to want, so very badly. As I sat down in my seat, I was so excited I felt like a little kid back at the circus again. At that time, I also noticed people all around me screaming-or was that me? I dug around for my camera as the lights dimmed and Thunder bug appeared. He was riding a tricycle around the ice and reminded me of the four-wheelers at the three ring circuses I went to when I was little. I began to snap photographs of him, all the while feeling like a little kid at her first circus. A few minutes later, the lights came on, practically blinding me and I heard the announcer say “Here are YOUR Tampa Bay Lightning…and the San Jose Sharks.” My boys then stepped onto the ice as everyone screamed crazily and busily snapped photographs of them, all the while acting like this were the last time they would ever see them.


No comments:

Post a Comment